We are all interested in what is happening in and around Jerusalem these days and the news media covers it regularly. Recently, I was asked regarding the beginning of that great city and how it progressed through the years. With a little research, this is part of what I found. (There’s much more)
Jerusalem was known as:
- The City of David - - - - 2 Sam.6:12
- The Holy City - - - - - Matt. 4:5
- The City of God - - - - - Ps.46:4; 87:3
- Salem - - - - - - - Gen. 14:18
- It was captured by David around 1050 B.C. and made the capitol of his kingdom. - 2 Sam. 5:6-12. & 6:1-19
- Solomon built the temple around 1005 B.C. - I Kings 6
- It was plundered by the Philistines and the Arabians during the reign of Jehoram, around 890 B.C. - 2 Chron. 21:16,17
- It was besieged by Nebuchadnezzar during the reign of Jehoicahin around 598 B.C. - 2 Kings 24:10-16
- The Temple was destroyed and burned. - 588 B.C.
- Alexander the Great visited the city in 332 B.C.
- It was captured by the Roman general Pompey in 63 B.C.
- In 20 B.C., Herod the Great began his world-famous project of enlarging and rebuilding the temple. It was built of large blocks of white stone and its façade was plated with gold. It cost many millions and took 46 years to complete.
- Jesus was dedicated there and attended the Passover at age 12. - Luke chap. 2
- Jesus wept over the city. - Luke 19:42 & Matt. 23:37-39
- A great part of Jesus ministry was there. - Each Gospel.
- He was arrested, condemned to death, crucified, buried and rose from the dead in that great City.
- The temple and city of Jerusalem were destroyed by Titus the Roman general on September 8, A.D. 70.